January 8, 2007

Americans' Rights Aren't Enough for the Ravenous Beast

US 'licence to snoop' on British air travellers -- By David Millward, Transport Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:02am GMT 02/01/2007

'Britons flying to America could have their credit card and email accounts inspected by the United States authorities following a deal struck by Brussels and Washington.

'By using a credit card to book a flight, passengers face having other transactions on the card inspected by the American authorities. Providing an email address to an airline could also lead to scrutiny of other messages sent or received on that account.'

'. . . Initially, such material could be inspected for seven days but a reduced number of US officials could view it for three and a half years. Should any record be inspected during this period, the file could remain open for eight years.'
See here for the complete text.
*_*_*
Now the US is demanding the records, including email addresses and religious dietary requirements of people seeking entry into this country from Europe whether for business or pleasure. A number of the identifying elements our government is requiring go against EU law and result in severe fines and penalties if revealed to outside parties.
So, the airlines find themselves between a rock and a hard place. The US is working with the EU to change the EU's policies.

In order to refute such disclosures, a British citizen would have to appear in American court.

10 comments:

Claire said...

I didn't know this! Hmm makes me a bit wary about ever visiting the US.
Claire

two crows said...

hiya, Claire--
exactly!
if the shrub's intention is to isolate the people of the US even further from the rest of the world, he's going about it in exactly the right way---

this administration has me truly frightened for my country and the people living in it -- including myself.
I think you WOULD do better to keep to your own side of the pond until we can flush the sociopaths out of our government. I might join you.
tc

TomCat said...

OK, all US radicals!! Party at Claire's house!! ;-)

Claire said...

Ok i am waiting for the all clear then!
Hmm would US radicals go down well in Widnes(where i live), i am not sure!
Claire

two crows said...

hey, Claire--
well, I can't speak for TomCat but I was just this mild mannered pshrink who minded my own business until we got a verifiable sociopath in the White House.
I only came out swinging because I kinda like my Constitution the way it is.

where is Widnes [and how do you pronounce it?]
tc

Claire said...

Well from the sound of it i am glad there are people like you! and tomcat of course!
Widnes (pronounced Wid-ness, never thought about how to pronounce it before) is in Cheshire about 12 miles from Liverpool.
Its famous for being one of major players in the start of the chemical industry (meaning it stinks, literally!)
Claire

TomCat said...

Claire, we have a place here that stinks worse: Washington, DC.

I was an 1960s activist (pro civil rights, anti war). While I have always been outspoken about my opinions, I had pretty well dropped out of activism until Bush stole the 2000 election. Since then, I have become more and more activist as he has developed int the greatest threat to American liberty since 1776. [No offense to any Brits present ;-)]

two crows said...

hey, Claire--
I think I have read that the Liverpool area was big in the chemicals thang back when it started. condolences.

and, yeah, I did follow the civil rights issues back in the 60's. I couldn't participate in the sit-ins--tho I wanted to--my parents wouldn't take me and I didn't have a driver's license yet.

so my first activism was during the vietnam war. that's so long ago, feels like another lifetime.

acourse, I marched for women's rights. for all the good that did in Missouri. . . .

Claire said...

none taken tomcat, you can win that one!
Yep it does stink, but its home, i am a born and bred widnesian!
I have never marched for anything, people here cant be arsed! but my thoughts are changing.
Claire

two crows said...

well, welcome to the wing of the gadflies, Claire.
it can be danged uncomfortable, sometimes, but rest assured. we don't bite.
just get a bit shrill on occasion--when the situation warrants it--like now.
:)