January 17, 2007

Email, the Latest Recruitment Tool

I just received an -- um -- interesting email.
The closest I've been to the military is the fact that my father was deployed in Africa during WWII.
So, imagine my surprise when I opened my email this morning to discover a flag-draped message outlining all the veterans' benefits I'm eligible for -- assuming I'm a veteran.

Obviously, this email did not come to me because I'm in some veterans' database -- because I'm not.
It didn't come because I have made any enquiry to my government about joining the military -- because I haven't.
It didn't come because I've asked about veteran's benefits -- because I haven't done that either.
It came because I have an email address -- pure and simple.

I guess the TV ads that appeal to the 'manliness' of our seventeen-year-old kids aren't doing the job.
So, here is Bush and Cheney's fall-back plan to get fodder for their escalation in Iraq and their attempt to salvage Afghanistan and their pushes into Iran and Syria.
May their email blitz do as well as the TV ads are doing.

5 comments:

two crows said...

just clean living, I guess.
:)

Larry said...

Thanks for visiting the blog Two Crows and Thanks for the link.

I like your blog and will make it a regular part of my viewing.

The way Bush has ruined the military, not letting them out once they get in, making them stay in Iraq for 3 or more turns has caused enlistment to drop.

The next thing Bush will do is force WWII vets back into service.

Who else can he get? His daughters sure won't enlist.

two crows said...

welcome, Larry--
yep--people are seeing the war for what it is--Bush's Folly--and are staying out of the military in droves.

getting his daughters to enlist--WHAT a good idea! joining them would be good, too. and taking Cheney along.

TomCat said...

TC, was this email actually from the government or was it a spammer acting officiously to try to sell something not mentioned in the email? I got something like that a few months back, and when I clicked the link out of curiosity, it was insurance.

two crows said...

assumed it was gov't.
the only button I hit was 'delete'