January 11, 2007

Insurgents Announce 'Insurge' -- From the Borowitz Report
Response to Bush’s Surge, Experts Believe

Moments after President George W. Bush appeared on national television to announce a surge of additional troops into Baghdad, a leader of the Iraqi insurgents appeared on the Arabic-language Al-Jazeera network to announce an “insurge” of additional insurgents into the Iraqi capital.

Hassad el-Medfaii, a prominent member of the insurgents’ leadership, said that sending an “insurge” of insurgents into Baghdad was part of a larger strategy for the insurgency which he called “a new way downward.”

“We are determined to secure chaos in Iraq, even if it means putting more sandals on the ground,” Mr. el-Medfaii said.

Mr. el-Medfaii said that he was “not concerned” about recruiting new terrorists to make the “insurge” possible: “Those videos of Saddam’s hanging have pretty much done it for us.”

But moments after Mr. el-Medfaii announced the insurgents’ plan for an “insurge,” White House spokesman Tony Snow blasted the strategy, calling the plan “unoriginal and derivative.”

“It’s clear to me that the insurgents only announced their ‘insurge’ because they knew we were planning to announce a ‘surge,’” Mr. Snow said. “In addition to being terrorists and madmen, the insurgents are showing themselves for what they really are: copycats.”

Mr. Snow said that in order to find enough troops to make the “surge” possible, the Army would focus its recruitment efforts on able-bodied men and women who have not watched the news in the last three years.

“That would also include people who have only watched Fox News,” Mr. Snow said.

8 comments:

TomCat said...

Enlisting FAUX news fans might lower the mean IQ of our troops to minus numbers.

two crows said...

that might be what it takes to rationalize why we're there in the first place.

two crows said...

if Bushco would get off THEIR arses, go to Iraq and pick up guns, I could get behind this war.
and take Pat Buchannan, Pat Robertson, and anyone else who thinks this is a worthwhile enterprise along with em.
one side-effect of this plan would be that a whole lot of people currently in the 31% column would suddenly come out foursquare against the war.
when it's YOUR ass on the line. . . .

chele said...

I'm just not totally convinced that Saddam is really dead. We've been lied to before, why should we believe this scratchy video?

I do not support the fact that our troops have not been supported. If we are going to send our servicemen and women to war, we must listen to the ones who know how to win it.

I am in favor of a democratic society in Iraq. But what we're doing isn't working.

I totally respect your view and can agree with much of it. It breaks my heart to hear the news and hear the death toll rising with each and every day. But, I just can't find it within my heart to say that if we look out the window and see our neighbor being murdered, that we don't try to stop it.

What's the solution? It clearly isn't the war we've waged thus far, but I think we have to do something.

chele said...

I also wanted to thank you for your help with my blog. My counter is at the top of the page on the right side underneath the header. And yes you may link to my site if I may link to yours.

Thanks again!

two crows said...

welcome chele--
I wish I knew what to do.
you're right, what we're doing clearly isn't what we need to be doing. I don't know what is.

from what I've read, though, even middle-of-the-road Iraqis want us out now. if they ever wanted us there, they've now changed their minds.
and I certainly can't fault them for that given the chaos and mayhem we've brought them.

IF it would happen [which it wouldn't] I think a complete pullout--including getting all American big-oil interests out of Iraq--would go a long way toward ending the violence there.
I don't KNOW that would work, of course.
but it seems to me to be the best alternative available.
which, by definition, means it won't happen.

two crows said...

as to Saddam being dead, I don't know.
I haven't watched the vid. even if I had I still wouldn't know.

of course, not living under a rock, I _have_ heard it described.
the description leads me to despair for the human race.

TomCat said...

I think he's dead. Look at it this way. The execution was bungled to such an extent that it became an international embarrassment to Iraq's government. Were it faked, that wopuld not have happened.