December 17, 2006

Slouching Toward WW III

Sometimes I wonder if this is what the run-up to the invasion of Poland by Germany felt like -- to the people of Europe.
***
Sometimes I feel utterly defeated. 'It's inevitable. There's nothing I can do to stop this country -- and the world -- from stumbling blindly into events that will ultimately destroy human life on the planet.'
Other times I can forget, for short periods at least, the disasters I see unfolding around us all.
Is this a shortcoming?
Or is it a simple human inability to perceive the approach of the end of the world as I know it?
After all -- that IS what happened in the late 1930's.
Before the war:
There were no nuclear weapons.
The largest genocide people have ever seen [so far] had not yet occurred.
The annihilation of at least two cultures [the Jewish Schtetl and the European Gypsy/Roma] had not happened.
Blitzkrieg had not yet been witnessed anywhere on the planet.
After the war all those things had occurred.

In other words--today's world had not yet been born.
I daresay the Poles and Germans of 1937 couldn't have conceived of today's world--or even that of 1945.

What will tomorrow's world look like?
And, while we speculate, let's keep in mind: today, the nuclear bomb DOES exist.

3 comments:

TomCat said...

I think what tomorrow's world looks like, and perhaps even if there will be a world tomorrow, depends on how quickly the people of the US reign in the mad man that occupies the White House.

two crows said...

that's my point. we haven't.
in 6 years, the American people have not gotten rid of or reigned in the madman.
the American people repeatedly tell Bush we disapprove of everything he's doing -- particularly in Iraq. And he just keeps doing it.

TomCat said...

For the first time, real investigations into his conduct will start in Congress next month. I hope it keeps him too busy with defense to offend.