January 12, 2007

Torture vs. Pay Hikes

So, here we sit in the middle of a true Constitutional crisis involving such things as a President who obeys the law, or not, as it suits him, who orders torture, who denies asylum to people who face torture and death if they return home, who infringes on the rights and privacy of US citizens, who even infringes on the rights of citizens of allied countries who have the temerity to attempt to visit our country.
And what does Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. choose to focus on? A pay raise for Federal Judges. He even goes so far as to call it a ‘Constitutional crisis’.
I know my heart bleeds for those judges. I don’t know how they manage to go on—seeing as how they make a paltry $165,200 a year. [Roberts's salary is $212,000].
***
During my undergraduate days, we protested against an illegal and unjust war. We protested against the denial of civil rights to US citizens.
After I graduated, I attended protests about the rights being denied to women. And the plight of homeless Vietnam veterans as well as those who had been exposed to Agent Orange. And violence toward AIDS victims.
Some years later, I went back to school and ran smack into a bunch of protesters braving the cold--blowing on their hands and stomping their feet to get warm--holding up placards and shouting, 'We demand adequate parking NOW!'

Forgive me, Justice Roberts, if I don't take your parking-space issue too seriously.
See here for the article.

5 comments:

TomCat said...

I think pay hikes for judges is a great idea, as long as it goes into effect that day after the last activist, neoconservative ideologue judge, like Roberts, that Bush has appointed retires or is impeached.

Until then, as you say, let's deal with real issues.

two crows said...

hey, Tom--
I think that's a great idea across the board.

anyone can ask for a pay-hike at any time--only,
the hike will go into effect when you step down and your successor takes up the reins.
to keep things at least fairly honest--the request must be made more than 2 years before retirement or the hike goes on hold until the NEXT person is instated in the office.

that MIGHT help people stay focused on the issues they were hired to deal with.

Smalltown RN said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I really appreciate your comments...I know it was a tough question but one I really think we need to ask ourselves especially with all that is going on in the world today.

YOurs is a great post as well.. I to having attend many a protest rally one in particular was the WTO in Seattle a few years back...crazy...parking or health issues...hmmmm

Cheers

two crows said...

welcome, rn--
glad to have you.
it can get fractious around here on occasion but it's mostly a civil discussion

TomCat said...

Hiya RN {waves}